Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Whoa, back up there ...

A writer's worst nightmare. So nightmarish it's barely imagineable.

Yesterday my house was burgled. That's bad enough - strangers in the house, possessions stolen, the thought they might come back for the rest ...

The most disastrous part though - they took my laptop. My life is on there, and more to the point, every book I've ever written and quite a few ideas for books I haven't. I don't keep hard copies any more, and I can only hope that the back-up I've believed myself to be doing has actually worked. I won't know until tomorrow when some computer expert tries to move the info across for me.

This is not the first time I've been caught out by not backing-up properly, but it could very well be the most tragic.

Be warned, writer friends. It could happen to you. Be sensible, unlike me.

And if someone tries to flog you a lap-top in the Auckland region, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment